This appetizer was a hit at our last dinner. The cured salmon (Gravlax) was purchased from Whole Foods and was delicious. Two guests requested the recipe. It is easy and elegant.
3 large red grapefruits
2 navel oranges
2 Hass Avocados
8 lettuce leaves
12 oz. cured salmon ( Santa Barbara Smoked House)
4 tablespoons of good olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Touch of ground ginger
Few branches of dill
Orange peel, grated
1. Remove zest from oranges and minced it to have about 1 teaspoon. Save for the dressing.
2. Peel oranges and grapefruit and remove segments. Reserve the juice.
3. Cut avocados and remove from skin. Cut each half into slices. Brush avocado with juice from grapefruit and oranges to keep from discoloration.
4. Prepare dressing by combining olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, ginger, orange rind, and 1 tablespoon of juice.
5. Cover lettuce with dressing, arrange on plate. Place avocado slices alternating with citrus segments on lettuce leaves and place salmon in the middle of the plate.
6. Sprinkle with dill and chives and with the remaining dressing.
Serves 6 – 8 people